Monday 30 December 2013

Musings and incidents of my life.....

Musings:

My first prize in school : I can't forget this one.....I stood first in my class, but was tied in marks with another boy who always used to come first.(Class 5) There was commotion. Who should be given the first prize? My marks incidentally in English language were the highest so I was awarded the prize for outstanding student and English.....I remember the event clearly....the Chief Justice was the Chief Guest, and when my name was called out I walked up to the stage with deafening applause in the background.....my steps were quick and fast - I was in a hurry to receive the coveted prize....a book by Enid Blyton...with the school logo imprinted on the inside page....a prize I still retain and cherish. My parents sitting among the audience were witness to this.


My first glimpse of Mother Teresa: I had just come back from school when my father informed me that we had to go and meet a great lady who I later came to know was called Mother Teresa - I had heard of her of course but was not fortunate to see her in person. I was excited.....when we reached the venue there were already lots of people there. What I saw from a distance really shook me.....a frail old lady was sitting in a corner with hordes of people either touching her feet or just walking past with folded hands.....as I approached her face was wrinkled in smiles and a kindness emanated from her eyes.....the kind you could expect from a saint....she blessed both of us and my father congratulated her for her good work....I was too tongue tied and overawed to ask anything and was content to observe and appreciate.......

                                                           




My first glimpse of Indira Gandhi: She was the greatest source of inspiration for millions - we were seated in the front row so I could have a clear view and hear her as well. She came in to the venue with a dozen followers and was walking fast....she climbed up the steps to the specially erected stage with a flourish and acknowledged the crowds with a wave of her hand and folded hands.When she started to speak her voice was clear and high pitched and had a clear definite tone to it....she spoke extempore with the confidence of a lady who knows and speaks her mind....She took the audience with her who acknowledged her speech with cheers....her words were not nasty, she never criticized, she knew and depended on her own charisma - a great lady indeed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment